Search This Blog

Monday, April 06, 2009

Camp Condensed

Triple Eagle

By now, many of you have read others' accounts of BMFA's Sock Camp, and what you have read is true: it was a really, really good time. All of the changes that were made since last year (new venue, less people, more free time to knit, spin, walk, relax, etc., yoga classes taught by Nathania Apple) all added to the experience. The hotel staff was great, the food was really wonderful, and the rooms came complete with giant jacuzzi tubs and gas fireplaces. It was heaven with yarn and pointy sticks.


Port Ludlow Resort

All of the classes were fab. JC Briar offered a cast off class, Stephanie, aka The Yarn Harlot, taught a class that used production knitting techniques to improve speed, Cat Bordhi introduced a brand new, super-secret sock architecture which will be in her upcoming book, and Tina Newton taught a dyeing class. Yep, that's right, dyeing with Tina Newton, The Depraved Dyer. (Tina also gave a "behind the scenes" slide show of BMFA as well as Oregon Coast pics she uses as inspiration to create colorways. It was truly a highlight of the week for me.)

My Three Skeins from Dyeing Class
This year's camp homework was to make a sea creature, with bonus points given for crabs, since this year's mascot was a crab. I made these Peekytoe Pedicure/Yoga Socks:
One of my favorite parts of camp was that I felt like I'd had a chance to meet and have at least a brief conversation with almost everyone. A slide show featuring everyone's pictures, complete with knitting secrets that we "confessed" on paper the first night, was a fitting, funny, bittersweet closure for the event. My secret:
"I would knit a hell of a lot faster if I didn't stop to admire my work at the end of every single row. I am a vain knitter."

5 comments:

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Oh wow,that sounds like such an amazing, restorative trip. Good for you!

cupcakefaerie said...

Camp was so much fun! I love your dyed colorways. After I saw your secret, I realized I'm a vain knitter too. :)

IrishGirlieKnits said...

It was fabulous wasn't it!! Can't wait for sock summit!!!

Love love love your dyed colorways!! So pretty!

samro said...

Your yarn looks great! I can't wait till next year.

tapmouse said...

Angela-it was so good seeing you again this year! The yoga/pedi socks were so adorable! Glad we had more time to visit!